Northern Wyoming News - Serving the Big Horn Basin for over 100 years

Washakie County producers may be eligible for emergency conservation program assistance


June 6, 2019

Tracie Mitchell

The Galloway Ranch in Ten Sleep receives a little help watering their young trees when the Nowood River overflowed its banks Wednesday, May 26.

WORLAND - A flood has caused damage in multiple areas of Washakie County.

Farms and ranches in Washakie County suffering severe damage may be eligible for assistance under the Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) administered by the Washakie-Hot Springs County Farm Service Agency (FSA).

For land to be eligible, the natural disaster must create new conservation problems that, if untreated, would:

•Be so costly to rehabilitate that Federal assistance is or will be needed to return the land to productive agricultural use

•Is unusual and is not the type that would recur frequently in the same area

•Affect the productive capacity of the farmland

•Impair or endanger the land

A producer qualifying for ECP assistance may receive cost-share levels not to exceed 75 percent of the eligible cost of restoration measures. Eligible socially disadvantaged and beginning farmers and ranchers can receive up to 90 percent of the eligible cost of restoration. No producer is eligible for more than $500,000 cost sharing per natural disaster occurrence.

The following types of measures may be eligible:

•Removing debris from farmland

•Grading, shaping, or releveling severely damaged farmland

•Restoring permanent fences

•Restoring conservation structures and other similar installations

Producers who have suffered a loss from a natural disaster may contact the local FSA County Office and request assistance from May 30 to June 30.

To be eligible for assistance, practices must not be started until all of the following are met:

•An application for cost-share assistance has been filed

•The local FSA County Committee (COC) or its representative has conducted an onsite inspection of the damaged area

•The Agency responsible for technical assistance, such as the Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), has made a needs determination, which may include cubic yards of earthmoving, etc., required for rehabilitation

For more information about ECP, please contact the Washakie-Hot Springs County FSA Office at 307-347-2456 ext. 2 or visit The office is located at 208 Shiloh Road in Worland.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 10/14/2021 17:24